Saturday, February 6, 2010

Well Here goes
Aloha from Texas, my name is Rick Man and I am on a personal adventure to complete a traditional Hawaiian Keiki quilt from scratch which is usually 44 x 54. I began quilting about 10 years ago . I had learned to quilt on my own after returning home to the Islands following several years of absent from Hawaii while raising a family and working a career.
In 2000, my family and I had visited the Big Island of Hawaii and stumbled into a small and quaint shop that displayed this most magnificent handmade Hawaiian Quilt. It represented to me a passage of time, history and a power of the Hawaiian Spirit known in the islands; as the "mana" and the cost for this quilt was a staggering $6,000.00.
I am giving myself about 3 months to complete this Quilt and my mission is to forward the Quilt to President Obama in our appreciation, the people of Hawaii for making the Hawaiian Islands proud of Son who was raised in Hawaii. Follow me as I will give you the true meaning of the Hawaiian quilt and the charm and beauty. All quilts made in Hawaii and by one individual is hand made, there are some imitations from the Philippines which is mass produced and typically it carries a lower class and not the same as ones that are made with love and Aloha by one person.
Keanu Man

No comments: